Increase In Holiday Air Traffic Expected

Officials anticipate no additional security delays.

Experts predict that the number of people nationwide traveling by air this Thanksgiving -- an expected total of 5.1 million -- will be a 6 percent increase from the Thanksgiving after the attacks.

About 35.9 million Americans will travel more than 50 miles from home, which is an increase of 1.7 percent from last year, according to AAA.

Almost 31 million plan to travel by motor vehicle -- a 1 percent increase from last year's 30.6 million -- but according to AAA, travel by air is predicted to see the greatest increase.

The number of people flying in the Carolinas is expected to increase 5.4 percent from last year, according to AAA. Air travel in the Northeast is expected to increase 14.8 percent, the largest jump in the nation.

The number of flights in this area dropped significantly after the terrorist attacks, contributing to the large hike this year, said AAA Carolinas spokeswoman Sarah Bembry.

This increase is significant because it shows the public's renewed trust in the airline industry, said Jerry Cheske, AAA spokesman for the southeastern United States. He said he thinks it is indicative of growing confidence in air travel security.

The Thanksgiving holiday will test that confidence as travelers and airport officials work with the post-Sept. 11 security measures for the first time during a holiday season.

New security measures include holding frequent random searches and requiring identification and a ticket to enter the central part of the airport.

Cheske said he expects air travel to run smoothly because the majority of security systems already are in place and working properly.

Officials at Raleigh-Durham International Airport also say they think passengers traveling through the airport will experience few problems.

In anticipation of Thanksgiving travel, RDU personnel created a comprehensive Web site providing detailed advice to passengers about everything from what to expect at security checkpoints to what diabetics should do with their insulin while on board, said RDU spokeswoman Karen Dunton.

Dunton said that when planning the Web site, officials tried to be as inclusive as possible. "We try to think about everything people would want to know and then some," she said.

Lists of allowed and restricted items can be found on the Web site for the Transportation Security Administration, an organization created a year ago to run federal checkpoints at all airports.

Individual airlines have also created a number of easy check-in options -- including curbside, self-service and ticket counter check-in -- that allow some passengers to avoid long lines.

Airport personnel will be available to direct and inform passengers during the holiday. Passengers also are encouraged to contact airlines and airports directly with any preflight questions or concerns.

"We hope for a safe Thanksgiving," Dunton said. "I think all the airports would agree; you just try to get through and take people where they need to go."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.