Islamic Awareness Week Under Way

Caters to increased student interest

As a part of Islamic Awareness Week, which began Monday and ends Friday, members of the Muslim Student Association have been gathering to educate and to raise awareness about the Muslim faith.

A speech Tuesday night in Bingham Hall titled "Race Relations in Islam" was one of the many events planned throughout the week.

Shatil Amin, a junior biology major and a member of the MSA executive committee, said the goals of Islamic Awareness Week are simple.

"We have Islamic Awareness Week every year with the purpose of teaching people about the Islamic faith," Amin said. "We also try and dig deeper, taking people beyond the stereotypical beliefs concerning Islam."

During Islamic Awareness Week, members of the MSA will be in the Pit from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m., said executive committee member Adnan Mustafa.

"We have tried to have a theme each day in the Pit, such as 'The Five Pillars of Islam' or 'Women in Islam,'" Mustafa said. "We have been distributing pamphlets and fliers related to these topics, but we are also open to any questions concerning Islam."

There is another speech planned for 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the Student Union auditorium with a banquet preceding it at 5 p.m. at the UNC Center for Leadership.

Mustafa said there also will be a sermon followed by a prayer service 1:15 p.m. Friday in Polk Place.

Amin said Islamic Awareness Week is especially relevant in light of the events of the past year.

"This week especially feels appropriate after September 11 because of the curiosity of the general population concerning the Muslim faith," he said. "People at this point are more open-minded about learning about Islam."

Amin said the situation on campus surrounding the Summer Reading Program exposed students to something new, piquing their interests.

"This sparked curiosity among students, a curiosity not necessarily to convert to Islam but to understand the religion," he said. "And because of these events, the level of activity in MSA has increased."

Amin said most of the funding for Islamic Awareness Week came from private support, but he added that the MSA members had raised money themselves and are in the process of planning more fund-raisers and events.

"Right now we are mainly relying on word-of-mouth and fliers to advertise the events of the week," he said.

Mustafa said he wished to have more Islamic scholars visit UNC in the coming months, continuing the teachings sponsored during Islamic Awareness Week and extending them throughout the year.

"Hopefully, we can have more speakers come," he said. "Islamic Awareness Week puts us under a spotlight. But as Muslims, it is our responsibility to answer questions and inform others about Islam in everyday life."

Mustafa said too much of the general public is unaware of what Islam is. "We want to let them see that this faith exists and is neither radical nor foreign but a religion just like any other," he said.

"We want to erase the negative connotations and perceptions associated with Islam and inform the public so that they can respect the religion."