Kinnaird Crushes Local Competition for Senate

Kinnaird won the election with about 66 percent of the vote, while Republican candidate Peter Morcombe received almost 31 percent and Libertarian candidate Christopher Todd Goss picked up 3 percent.

A collection of family, volunteers, Democratic Party representatives and other supporters gathered at Kinnaird's home in Carrboro on Tuesday night to watch as election returns were reported. The crowd of about 30 was not surprised to see Kinnaird lead from when the first absentee ballots were reported until nearly all precincts had been accounted for.

The results were essentially what Democratic Party officials had been expecting since midday, said Sharon Worthington, third vice chairwoman of the N.C. Democratic Party, who was at the celebration. But she added that any majority of 60 percent or better is a strong showing.

Kinnaird said she was hesitant to comment before all votes were counted but affirmed that she was pleased with the night's results.

"People told me the demographic was so strongly Democratic that a Democrat would probably win," she said.

Kinnaird said she will spend time between now and Jan. 23, when the N.C. General Assembly reconvenes, catching up on things she has been too busy to do while campaigning, including sorting through large piles of mail and research materials sent to her by various interest groups.

"I will also be calling on people I will be working with in the communities," she said.

When the legislature begins session in January, Kinnaird said, she plans to strengthen ties with Senate leadership and build relationships with officials at UNC. "I will make a solid commitment to those who didn't have confidence at the University," she said.

Kinnaird also expressed concern for other elections around the state. She said she was especially concerned about the Senate race in Wake County but was optimistic that Democrats would retain a majority in the Senate.

Morcombe said he divided his time Tuesday night between Republican Party gatherings in Chatham County and Hillsborough, where the mood was generally bright as the party gained seats in both the House and Senate.

"I'm pleased -- I did really well in Chatham County," Morcombe said. "Better than I expected."

He said that despite his loss, he was pleased with the night's results from around the state. "Hopefully, the Republican Party will be able to put together a better budget if they can get even one side of the house," he said.

But Kinnaird and her supporters said a move toward greater Republican power over the state budget is exactly what they are trying to avoid.

Kinnaird said she is worried legislators will attribute Republican gains in the General Assembly to recent problems with the state budget and not to the recent redistricting that many claim favors the Republican candidates.

She said, "What I'm afraid of is that we'll take a turn to right because people won't be courageous."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.