Late Harrison Blends Beatles, Self on Final CD

George Harrison

Brainwashed

3 Stars

An old adage says nothing lasts forever. Ask Beatles fans and they might agree, considering only two members of the "Fab Four" are still alive.

Among the departed Beatles is the late George Harrison, "the quiet Beatle," who died of cancer in November 2001. Before his passing, he was working on his new studio album, Brainwashed.

The eagerly anticipated album, produced by Jeff Lynne, Harrison and his son Dhani, features Harrison's trademark Indian-influenced guitar work and transcendent lyrics.

Stylistically, Brainwashed isn't too far outside the Beatles tradition.

Perhaps this is because Harrison, as the band's lead guitarist -- although vastly overshadowed by Paul McCartney and John Lennon -- was clearly instrumental in shaping the overall sound of the band.

Brainwashed is built on acoustic guitars, ukuleles, simple harmonies and Harrison's slide guitar, suggesting some of the Beatles' more sedate moments.

"Marwa Blues" is a venture into Hawaiian-influenced ambience with a repeating progression and slide guitar interplay. The addition of strings and harp create a track that, while not mind-expanding, is serene and meditative.

But not all of Harrison's songs are that calm. The logical first single, "Stuck Inside a Cloud" is the album's most radio-friendly track. Harrison's vocals guide the song while tasteful touches of oscillating, psychedelic guitar and Wurlitzer organ create a warm accompaniment.

Harrison ponders the nature of original sin, human frailty and eternal life on "Rising Sun." Enhanced by string arrangements and organ, the song is one of the more sonically and lyrically adventurous tracks on the album.

But the title track, the album's closer, marks the climax of his lyrical inspiration. Harrison turns up the amps, matching a cutting electric guitar riff with his lyrics about the absence of spirituality in the modern world.

The song's bridge is an exotic soundscape, punctuated by tabla drums, in which a woman reads from "The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali." This track is by far the most ambitious of the album.

Still, Brainwashed, while not utterly devoid of life, isn't the most interesting or innovative album of Harrison's career.

The songs tend to sound alike because of their near-uniform arrangement.

Harrison's lyrics are as introspective as ever, giving the impression that even when he's observing the outside world he's internalizing it.

However, the music often fails to add thoroughly to the depth and power of his lyrics.

Songs that seem bland and ambivalent surprise with ambitious lyrics about transcendental philosophy.

Not that simplicity is a bad thing, but it sounds as if The Beatles' sound had too much of an influence on Harrison. In terms of style and arrangement, many of the tracks on Brainwashed sound like watered-down versions of the tunes Harrison wrote for the band, with a little extra mysticism to boot.

For obvious reasons, Brainwashed doesn't sound finished or fleshed-out. But the death of its masterful and unique artist should be taken into account.

The album -- for all it lacks -- should stand as a testament to what George Harrison would have continued to do.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.