More Basketball Tickets Available to Public

After an increase in season ticket prices from $362 to $406 and an 8-20 record in the 2001-02 season, the Smith Center will have 2,019 seats filled by faculty and staff season ticket holders -- 592 fewer than last year. Season ticket sales have declined steadily since the 1998-99 season, when 789 more seats were purchased by UNC faculty and staff than were purchased for this season.

But Clint Gwaltney, director of ticket operations, said old age -- and not the disappointing nature of last season or the higher prices -- is to blame. "Instead, I see it more as being a problem of age," he said. "(The faculty) aged out. There are more weekend and evening games this season, and (older faculty members) are unable to attend," Gwaltney added.

Tickets for all games will be sold at the season's start as opposed to a week before each game, as was the practice last year. Tickets for all home games except Duke and N.C. State went on sale Wednesday.

Public tickets for games against ACC opponents and high-profile, nonconference games against Connecticut and Kentucky are $35 each. For games against lesser-known teams such as Vermont and Davidson, tickets sell for $20 each.

Tickets can be purchased at the Ticket Office in the Smith Center.

But UNC students won't be able to capitalize on the empty seats -- at least not for free and not any time soon.

Carolina Athletic Association President Kris Willett said it must be proved that the decline in sales is a direct result of a lack of interest on the part of faculty and staff, in which case students would have an argument for more seats. "It gives us more room to work with if this happens over a longer period of time -- for several years in a row," she said.

"We have to prove that it's not the other factors that are affecting (season) ticket sales," said Willet, who mentioned possible factors such as increased prices and a slow economy.

Unlike the long-term hope for students, Gwaltney saw immediate opportunity for faculty fans. "The good side is that it afforded some faculty members the opportunity to move down the levels."

Gwaltney said the vacancies left by tenured faculty passing up on season tickets allow faculty members with less seniority to purchase better seats.

A point system rewards faculty based on seniority and the number of years they purchase season tickets. The more points, the better the seats.

Gwaltney said the system will make it easier for out-of-town fans to attend games.

"We get calls from people all over the Southeast and all across the country, but until this year, they never really had an opportunity to plan ahead," he said.

"Now someone can say, 'Hey, I want to go the Georgia Tech game on March 1' and go right ahead and book a flight and a hotel room," he said.

"Now those out of a one-day traveling area can have the Carolina experience."