Movie Ticket Policy Survives the First Test

The change was made in response to the unruly behavior of the crowd at the "8 Mile" preview Nov. 7, when students rushed to get inside the Student Union Auditorium in order to view the film.

For the "Friday After Next" preview, the auditorium's doors opened at 6 p.m. for the 8 p.m. showing, and wristbands were distributed to circumvent problems with large lines that were seen at the preview of "8 Mile," said Clint Neill, CUAB Reel Crew Film chairman.

Neill said the wristbands allowed workers to know the exact number of people attending the movie -- in this case, 338 -- so they could make sure that they were not going above capacity. It also ensured that attendees would have a seat and let them come and go as they pleased before the movie.

"It worked out really well -- there was no confusion whatsoever," Neill said. "We were able to watch the line and maintain control."

A UNC police officer also was on the scene to help CUAB members supervise the line.

The previous ticket policy for sneak previews had never caused problems before the showing of "8 Mile," officials said.

The auditorium did not reach maximum capacity at the "Friday After Next" preview, while many had to be turned away for "8 Mile." But Neill said he doesn't feel the policy affected attendance.

"I don't think the policy was the reason we were under capacity," he said. "There are many factors that go into that. It could have been the day of the week, what was going around campus or the movie."

Neill said there was more of a buzz behind "8 Mile" than behind "Friday After Next."

The new policy gives preference to those arriving early and planning their evening around the movie, he said.

Students who attended the sneak preview said that although the process was inconvenient, it seemed to run more smoothly than at the "8 Mile" showing.

"It seemed to work. But coming too ahead of time to a movie -- that's a hassle," said sophomore Daphne Mills on Thursday. "(Normally) you can just get a ticket in advance in your own time."

Sophomore Darah McClain went to the "8 Mile" showing and commented on the improvement in Thursday's sneak preview.

"It was certainly better than last time," she said. "But I still think there's a better solution."

She said CUAB should distribute bracelets all day, similar to the policy for basketball tickets.

Neill said that the suggestion had come up when developing the new policy but that it was passed over because it did not help them ensure all the seats would be filled.

"If people want to come, they will be there that night," he said. "If you give out wristbands all day long, something could come up, and then there is an empty seat."

He said that CUAB gets sneak previews because film companies know that they will provide a large audience.

Neill said that there are no more sneak previews planned at the moment but that he thinks CUAB will continue with the new policy in the future.