Officials Take Steps to Safeguard Students' Privacy

Information most often is shared between federal agencies, a congressional report shows. The sharing is possible because of increasing technology and information sharing agreements between departments.

"There's a lot of information sharing now, especially after September 11, and I think it's important for students to know how the information on their applications is being used," said Paula Bruening, staff counsel at the Center for Democracy and Technology.

Bruening said it is feasible for wary financial aid applicants to avoid having their information read, namely by reading the fine print.

"I would recommend looking at the disclosures on applications," she said. "If the application doesn't have a disclosure, consult with the school and ask them what other institutions may see the application."

She also said certain questions might only need to be answered if a person is applying to a specific school or program. But added that overall, students should be careful when providing highly personal information.

"The most important thing is to protect your Social Security number because it provides all sorts of information about your medical, financial and work records," said Bruening.

"Students are protected by certain legislations like the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act," she said. The legislation largely prevents the sharing of students' personal information.

But there are some circumstances in which others need to see information on students, including those at UNC.

"In general, everyone is on a computer somewhere," said Mary Sechriest, UNC's FERPA expert and associate University counsel.

She said that student records are protected by FERPA but that records can be released with a student's written consent.

Government auditors also can see students' personal information when they visit the University to make sure federal money is being spent appropriately, Sechriest said.

UNC also has its own policy, in addition to federal regulations, regarding information sharing.

"We have strict rules and guidelines for protecting student's privacy rights and information," said Shirley Ort, UNC director of scholarships and financial aid. "I think sharing information is appropriate because of the conditions which Congress sets in order for an institution to receive federal funds."

Ort said that in her office, sharing records often is beneficial, not harmful.

"If we could not share records, we would have to go to each agency and negotiate with that agency to get student information," Ort said. "It makes things easier to share information."

She said students are given the option to check a box on financial aid applications that indicates whether they wish to be considered for state grants. If they check it, it gives the University permission to share information with the state to see if the students are eligible for grants.

But Ort said the University's financial aid office strives to protect students' sensitive records.

"Our office takes steps to ensure that students' personal information stays private -- we don't reveal characteristics of students that would make them identifiable."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.