Panhandling Poses Safety Concerns

It's hard to walk more than a few steps without being approached by a panhandler asking if you can spare some change.

Police Chief Gregg Jarvies, in a presentation to the Town Council on Monday night, said although panhandling is bothersome, it is not illegal. Still, panhandling continues to be an increasing problem in the downtown area and on major roadways around town.

But Jarvies also said he does not think the problem will be mitigated by placing additional foot patrol officers on the streets.

Translation: The police think there is nothing more they can do about the problem.

These are discouraging words coming from the top of the Chapel Hill law enforcement ladder.

Panhandling might not be illegal, but it still causes many pedestrians to feel uncomfortable or unsafe in their surroundings.

And although police cannot necessarily stop the panhandling, an increased visible police presence on Franklin Street will help pedestrians feel safer shopping or strolling along Chapel Hill's main drag.

Warm weather, University facilities and deep pockets all contribute to the attraction of the homeless and street solicitors to Chapel Hill.

Many Chapel Hill residents probably have become accustomed to politely declining the solicitors and are able to disregard their constant requests for money.

However, when people are approached by several people within one block, it is easy to see how some pedestrians, especially women or young people, might feel intimidated and overwhelmed.

Town Council member Pat Evans said some community members have been discouraged from visiting the downtown area because they feel threatened by the scene. She also said parents who visit Chapel Hill with their college-searching children are uncomfortable allowing them to attend UNC because they feel unsafe.

Clearly, if this is the case, panhandling is a problem that needs immediate attention.

But panhandling and begging are expressive actions protected under the First Amendment and only can be regulated by reasonable time, place and manner restrictions.

Therefore, under an ordinance adopted by the Town Council on Sept. 1, 2002, panhandlers only can be arrested if their demands become aggressive, if they solicit near an ATM or bank or if they beg during the nighttime hours. Also under this ordinance, the solicitors are required to display a permit stating their name, address and lists any crimes they have committed in the past 10 years.

Although these actions are a step in the right direction to control the time and place soliciting can occur, it still fails to make residents, students and visitors feel safer about visiting the downtown area.

The Chapel Hill Police Department places at least two foot patrol officers in the downtown district between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. They are supplemented by off-duty and plainclothes cops, as well as security cameras.

But undercover cops and cameras don't serve as a visible police presence to make pedestrians feel safer downtown. Even though panhandlers can't be arrested, if people see police officers, they will feel safer around the solicitors.

Unfortunately, putting more cops downtown is easier said than done. The Chapel Hill Police Department is plagued by a 10 percent vacancy and has difficulty recruiting new officers because its starting salaries are the lowest around.

The obvious first step is to deal with the vacancy problem. But whenever possible, uniformed foot patrol officers should be stationed around downtown to make the scene less intimidating.

Panhandling, by nature, causes pedestrians to feel uncomfortable and unsafe. But just because the panhandling cannot be made illegal does not mean the police department cannot do anything about the problem.

Carolyn Pearce can be reached at cpearce@email.unc.edu.