Percentage Admissions Questioned

Study: Diversity not assured by guarantee

Officials at schools that utilize percentage plans say the plans increase diversity because rural and minority students automatically are admitted if they rank high enough in their graduating classes.

But according to the report, such plans only will have their desired effect if affirmative action and other supplemental recruitment, admissions and academic support programs remain in place.

States already using percentage plans include California, Florida and Texas.

UNC does not have a specified policy for the number of minority students it admits.

In California, graduates in the top 4 percent of their high school class are guaranteed admittance to at least one campus in the University of California system. In Texas, the top 10 percent automatically receive a promise of admission, while the top 20 percent in Florida are enrolled.

UC officials established the system's percentage program -- Eligibility in the Local Context -- two years ago.

UC-system spokesman Hanan Eisenman said ELC increases diversity at system campuses because it increases the universities' presence in high schools, which increases the number of applicants from around the state.

"There are some high schools in the state that have historically sent few graduates to the University of California system, and ELC increases that number," he said.

The UC system wanted to reach out to high school students across the state and to encourage them to attend public universities rather than to go out of state, he said. "We did (ELC) to reward students in all parts of California. ELC sends a message to work hard and succeed and (the UC system) will recognize you."

ELC allows system officials to identify the accomplishments of local students and to give the UC system a more hands-on approach, he said.

But Eisenman said ELC is not a replacement for affirmative action, though it does provide increased opportunities and motivation for students. "This is just one additional path for deserving students," he said.

Percentage plans are not a good solution for UNC because of the lack of diversity in many parts of the state, said UNC Director of Admissions Jerry Lucido. "My impression of these percentage plans is that they don't address a diverse student body," he said. "The current system here works and has served the University and its students well."

Students applying to UNC are given the option of declaring their race on their admissions applications, Lucido said.

But he said he does think percentage plans can be successful in states like Texas where high schools are more integrated.

The faculty enjoys the diverse student body, and the admissions office knows this and wants to achieve it, Lucido said. "We will do our best to do a comprehensive reading of all applications to continue bringing cultural diversity to campus."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.