Price Secures 8th Term

Democratic incumbent garners 61 percent of the 4th District votes

Price received 127,498 votes with 97 percent of the precincts reporting. He represents the 4th District, which includes Chatham, Durham, Orange and Wake counties.

Republican Tuan Nguyen received 76,165 votes, while Ken Nelson, a Libertarian, received 5,544 votes.

"I feel encouraged by the size of the win," Price said.

Price was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1986 but lost his bid for re-election in 1994. He was successful in 1996.

Price visited poll sites in Chatham, Durham, Orange and Wake counties Tuesday to encourage voter turnout.

"I worked hard during the day, and very early on I was told I was predicted the winner," he said.

Price, joined by his wife, Lisa, and Barbara Allen, chairwoman of the N.C. Democratic Party, celebrated the news of his win in the grand ballroom at the North Raleigh Hilton, where he entered to a rendition of "Getting Down to Business" and enthusiastic applause.

"We've started (celebrating) but are also concerned about the other (Democratic) candidates," Price said.

Later that night, U.S. Senate candidate Erskine Bowles conceded the race to Republican Elizabeth Dole at the same podium that Price used to greet supporters. "I am heartened by the encouragement and support, and I am reminded of how much has been riding on this election," Price said. "I am proud to be on your team."

Price will return to Washington, D.C., next week to work on some holdover legislation in special organized sessions and then the so-called "lame-duck" session. "I return to Washington reinvigorated and determined to turn this economy around, clean up corporate corruption, restore confidence in the market and make our public schools second to none.

"Let's work on ... enhancing the quality of life (in the Triangle) for future generations."

Price said he will focus on the nation's failing economy when he returns to the U.S. House next week.

"My top priority is getting the economy turned around," he said. "That involves a number of factors -- getting workers trained and retrained and getting the federal budget back on track.

"When they voted, the voters had the economy on their minds."

Allen said she is excited Price will be continuing his strong service to North Carolina in the U.S. House.

"I think it's wonderful that (Price) won," she said. "Of course, I expected him to, but I still think he's a great congressman."

Allen attributed Price's easy victory to his faithful service to his constituents.

"He has such a passion for North Carolina. People know how serious he is."

Nguyen did not attend the Republican Party's celebration in Raleigh and could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.