Raising a Department at UNC

Crowe in at birth of policy department.

"I do what I do because I enjoy it," she said.

"I have plenty to keep me busy."

As the student services and administrative manager for the Department of Public Policy, Crowe manages the daily operations of the department.

Colleagues consider Crowe, who has been with the department from the beginning, invaluable for her dedication and her expertise.

Crowe said her responsibilities, among other duties, include maintaining student records, managing graduate applications to doctoral programs, supervising the administration of faculty searches, advising undergraduates and helping with the Public Policy Majors Union.

After graduating from a business college in Oxford, Crowe came to visit UNC -- where she met her future husband -- and has been involved in the campus community ever since.

While she was raising her children, Crowe said, she worked part-time as a research assistant in Chapel Hill.

She then spent five years working with students as the assistant coordinator for the Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program.

"I was able to help international students learn the campus, deal with housing and even show them how to grocery shop," Crowe said.

"When you try to take a male from Bangladesh -- who has never even been in a kitchen -- to an American grocery store, it's an interesting experience."

In 1991, Crowe began her job with the public policy department, and she has been an integral part of its development and growth.

"It's been very exciting to see us grow," she said.

"We started with 32 students in the undergraduate program, and now we have approximately 120 undergraduates and 20 graduate students."

Crowe humbly credits the department's success to all of her co-workers.

"We have a wonderful staff who are tremendously supportive," she said. "I would have to give them kudos."

But Crowe's co-workers are quick to compliment her.

Krista Perreira, professor of public policy, said Crowe is particularly helpful in aiding new faculty.

"I've only been in the department for one year, but Asta has been tremendous," Perreira said.

"She helped make this program accessible to faculty by showing us what students need, and because of this she has facilitated my ability to teach."

Mary Woytowich, executive assistant to public policy department Chairman Michael Stegman, said people such as Crowe are irreplaceable because of their experience and knowledge of the University.

"Asta believes in the old work ethic that your job is your responsibility and you will get it done," Woytowich said. "Before she asks anyone to do something, she does it herself."

But Crowe's busy lifestyle isn't limited to her work at UNC.

A fan of the outdoors, horses and volunteering, Crowe frequently extends her talents to benefit others.

As a volunteer for the Sierra Club, Crowe takes groups of underprivileged children on nature outings.

"It's a wonderful experience to take kids out of the housing projects and into the woods," she said. "We are able to teach them about trees and wildlife and the importance of environmental protection."

Crowe also has been on many trips to perform Hurricane Floyd flood relief work, and she also has worked at a therapeutic horseback riding center.

"I love working with people," she said. "It's very pleasing to help others have experiences they wouldn't otherwise have."

And Crowe hopes to fulfill this desire to help others every day.

She said she plans to stay with the public policy department until she retires.

"Young people are very exciting," she said. "Working with students keeps me young and in touch with a different part of the world that I wouldn't see if I wasn't involved with them."

To nominate someone who has made an outstanding contribution to the University community to be a Star Heel, e-mail the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.