Residents Show Support for Lee

Lee will continue serving community.

The Orange County Board of Commissioners scheduled the reception to thank Lee for his service after he lost the Democratic primary to Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange. He and Kinnaird were forced to run against each other because of redistricting.

Barry Jacobs, chairman of the Board of Commissioners, said the reception was well-deserved. "(Lee) is a strong, smart, hardworking, good guy," Jacobs said. "He was a pioneer who has worked hard for a lot of the things we value in Orange County."

Lee also was honored with a resolution in recognition of his 34 years of civil service in North Carolina at the commissioners' meeting after the reception.

Lee served six terms in the N.C. Senate after serving as the first black mayor of Chapel Hill from 1969-75.

Lee said he was honored by the reception held for him. "It feels absolutely wonderful (to be honored)," Lee said. "This expression of appreciation means a lot to me."

Attendees included U.S. Rep. David Price, D-N.C., fellow state legislators, Chapel Hill Town Council members and longtime Orange County residents.

The newly re-elected Kinnaird also attended the reception. Kinnaird, who defeated Lee by only a small margin in the Democratic primary, said that Lee will be missed and that she is sorry the "mess" ever happened.

"Education is one area where his experience and leadership will be missed," she said. "I am proud to have served with him for six years."

Lee also said he regretted the situation he and Kinnaird were put in.

"I'm sorry we found ourselves in the position we did, but life turns us in many directions," he said. "How can you be sad when you have good members of the delegation going back to Raleigh?"

Norman Walker, who served on the Board of Commissioners when Lee was the mayor of Chapel Hill, said that although he and Lee did not agree on many things, Lee is a hardworking civil servant. "He was more liberal, and I was more conservative, but we always got along," Walker said. "I've always had a lot of respect for him."

The crowd of officials and Orange County residents had several good laughs while Lee was addressing the crowd, telling of his journey from Savannah, Ga., to Chapel Hill.

He said many were skeptical of his winning the mayoral election in Chapel Hill in 1969, especially when he mentioned starting a public transit system. "Many people didn't believe it," Lee said. "But the buses are still running."

Though Lee will no longer serve in the legislature, he said that he is still strongly committed to serving the community and the University and that he has many options from which to choose for further service.

He said, "This is not the end of the game; this is just halftime."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.