Road Hearing Draws 400 Residents

The N.C. Department of Transportation held the hearing to include the public as a part of the project's development process, which would widen Weaver Dairy Road to four lanes with a 14-foot raised median.

A total of 68 speakers voiced their support for either the NCDOT's plan or the Chapel Hill Town Council's proposal, which would widen the two-lane road to three lanes, the middle a continuous turning lane.

Representatives of the NCDOT did not offer opinions at the hearing but said what they heard would be taken into effect during the decision-making process.

Mayor Kevin Foy, the first scheduled speaker at the hearing, requested the compromise proposal to the NCDOT.

"We believe it is practical for improving Weaver Dairy Road," Foy said.

He said the town's design for Weaver Dairy Road would include a constant turning lane in the middle of the two lanes with the installation of signals for pedestrian crossing and possible sidewalks.

"There is overwhelming community support for the town's three-lane project," Foy said.

Michelle Ware from Citizens Action for Responsible Roads, said she had gathered more than 500 signatures for the council's design.

"We know the kind of road we need here, and we know better than the dangers of the four-lane road," Ware said.

She said that the main concern residents had is safety for pedestrians and drivers on Weaver Dairy Road and that the NCDOT's plan does not allow for adequate safety.

"The imposed so-called improvements proposed by the DOT would not provide safety for bicyclists and pedestrians," Ware said.

Resident Hugh McFarling said the town's plan does not address the other problems of the road's construction, such as the wear and tear of the road.

"If Weaver Dairy is so obsolete, and it is, it would be criminal to add another obsolete part to this road," McFarling said.

He said a three-lane road with worn-out asphalt would create and increase traffic problems and safety concerns.

Diane Henderson, a resident of Carol Woods Retirement Center, said the residents of Carol Woods are divided between opinions of the two plans.

"Although I have initially thought a three-lane road would be way better, over time, I believe a safer design is needed," Henderson said.

With both Carol Woods and East Chapel Hill High School on the road, she said, her concern is for people of all ages, new and elderly drivers, as well as pedestrians and bicyclists.

"A raised median would address safety issues; it would be a safe place for walkers to stand while crossing the road," Henderson said.

Silver Creek resident Warren Greshes, holding a sign that said "Stop Weaver Dairy Highway," compared other four-lane roads to Weaver Dairy Road.

Greshes said Weaver Dairy is not a main route residents travel. "If you want to get to (U.S. 15-501) from Durham, you take I-40, not Weaver."

Allie McBroaden, transportation planner for the Environmental Protection Agency, said a four-lane road would not help traffic situations but instead increase congestion.

"When you make transportation faster, more people will take that route and people who live there will take more trips," she said.

Aaron Nelson, executive director of the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Chamber of Commerce, said the chamber at first supported the NCDOT's plan but is now in favor of the town.

"A safe road is a necessity," he said. "While we are willing to compromise a design, we are not willing to compromise safety."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.