Rum Runners Open for Business

Rum Runners is a national chain of dueling piano bars based in Raleigh. The Chapel Hill location, in the back of the Bank of America building on Rosemary Street, is the company's second site in North Carolina and fifth nationwide.

Although the bar was scheduled to open in early October, Rum Runners' Chapel Hill debut did not occur until Nov. 15. Rum Runners USA Vice President James Auerbach said this delay was the result of town permits that required finalization. "The normal process took longer than anticipated," he said.

The new location is part of the company's general expansion, which will include five more openings in the next six months, Auerbach said.

"The Chapel Hill market is a growing one with a thriving entertainment scene and a thriving college, all factors that made Chapel Hill a perfect location for us," he said.

Rum Runners is open Wednesday to Sunday from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m.. There are plans to increase its days of operation in the future.

Cover is $5 for members and $7 for guests. Initial membership also is $5. Auerbach said these prices are consistent with those of other clubs offering live entertainment.

He said the average price of house drinks, about $3 to $5, is competitive as well. "Drink prices are consistent with all other clubs in the area."

Drink specials and promotions are offered on theme days, including "Lady's Night" on Thursday and "In the Biz Night" on Sunday.

A tropical theme, including a terra cotta ceiling and mock tiki lights, helps to create Rum Runners' interactive atmosphere. Patrons sit at tables or counters facing the stage, where two pianists perform songs back and forth.

Customers sing along with the music, with the bar's pianists possessing a repertoire that spans from the 1950s to the present, Auerbach said. "Really, the stars of our show is the crowd," he said.

He also said the bar's variety of music helps to draw a diverse clientele to Rum Runners, including students and local residents.

"There's no demographic that gets ruled out by our theme," Auerbach said.

Two bars are available where customers can order drinks, while those seated at tables are served by a wait staff. The combination of bar and piano dueling creates an "entertainment destination," said Auerbach. "You get the entertainment, you get the bar, you get the atmosphere."

Robert Humphreys, executive director of Chapel Hill's Downtown Commission, echoed his sentiments, adding that Rum Runners will be a nice addition to the town's entertainment scene. "It's certainly very different than anything else we've ever had downtown," he said. "I'm really excited about it, and I just think it'll be a fun place."

UNC senior Christy Leech visited Rum Runners for the first time Saturday. "I've heard they're really fun and I love piano," she said. "It's just different than the other local bars."

She also said she was impressed by the collection of songs performed. "These guys are awesome, and they seem to know every song you'd want to hear."

Rum Runners pianist Ben Michaels said the musicians rotate between the bars in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. He said the new location already has received a great reception.

"It seems like it's going to be a very busy and very energetic type of place."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.