Senate Won't Challenge 1st Veto in N.C. History

Legislators say the appointments bill vetoed Monday by Gov. Mike Easley does not warrant the attention of the full chamber at this point.

The bill will be referred to a committee by Senate leaders and some legislators already in Raleigh on official business.

Easley vetoed the bill because some of the appointments had expired. Other appointees were deceased or not legally viable for other reasons.

Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland, said a majority is not needed simply to refer the legislation to committee.

"We're not going to do anything to bother the veto," he said.

"There's no reason to bring everybody down."

Rand said senators were informed not to come to Raleigh for the shortened session.

"We'll go into session, we'll have to adopt the rules we adopted in the 2001-2002 session, and the bill will be referred to committee," Rand said.

"It should take 15 to 20 minutes. It'll be over and done with. It'll be very quick."

Norma Mills, general counsel for Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, said reconvening the entire chamber would be a waste of time and money.

"We just don't believe that right now is the time to consider this bill," she said. "That can all wait until January."

Mills said N.C. House members will not have to act on the appointments bill today.

Under state law, a vetoed bill must first be considered in the chamber where it originated.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.