Shallow 'Spy' Recycles Old Genre Themes, Jokes

"I Spy"

I spy, with my little eye, something predictable.

It's amazing that even in the 21st century, the action/comedy/buddy movie continues to sell movie tickets and buckets of popcorn.

What a concept.

Let's take two guys, completely opposite in every way -- especially in race -- and even though they are total screw-ups, let's throw them together in an exotic location and place them in unrealistic situations. While we're at it, let's make them invincible against bullets and fire and able to undermine scores of trained international agents and have them be responsible for solving the most perilous threat to our national security.

"I Spy," the newest film of this genre, stars Owen Wilson as super agent Alex Scott and Eddie Murphy as boxing champion Kelly Robinson. They're an unlikely pair who must retrieve a missing Air Force secret weapon, an invisible stealth bomber called the Switch Blade, from the hands of Arnold Gundars (Malcolm McDowell), an illegal arms dealer in Budapest.

With the help of some funky spy equipment and a briefcase full of attitude, the motley duo team up to solve the nation's most dangerous threat.

"I Spy" was inspired by the original 1960s television show where Bill Cosby starred as a black-tennis-player-turned-sidekick to a white super spy. Although the show was groundbreaking for its era, "I Spy" the movie bares little if any resemblance to its original television version. In fact, the film barely breaks any new ground at all and succeeds only as an entertaining film starring two popular comedians who fight the forces of international evil with hilarious, over-the-top results.

They take a cliched genre and almost make it work via each star's distinctive comedic performance and their visible chemistry.

However, the pitch for this film could literally be: "Lethal Weapon" and every other annoying male buddy film ever made meets "The Bourne Identity." The film spends far more time entertaining the viewer with explosion scenes and less time filling in several holes in the plot.

What the film lacks in innovative plot twists, however, it makes up in quality performances. Both Wilson and Murphy deliver exactly what the audience wants and expects. Murphy explodes onto the screen with his classic over-the-top, cocky attitude, while Wilson plays his white-bread, wholesome Boy Scout routine.

Their collective comedic talent works as a refreshing blend of new comedy, and maybe that's because it was obvious that the two stars spent a lot of screen time ad-libbing.

There also are some genuinely funny moments and cameos, such as Lumbergh (Gary Cole) from "Office Space" as a Steven Seagal look-alike super spy and an amusing bonding scene between Wilson and Murphy in a Hungarian sewer.

However, unless you are a die-hard Wilson or Murphy fan, I would recommend saving your money and renting one of the scores of classic action/comedy/buddy films of yesteryear available at your local video store.

You don't need to see "I Spy." Chances are, you've already seen it.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.