Stevens Wins N.C. Senate Seat, Will Leave BOT

Stevens, a Republican, received 62 percent of the votes cast in District 17, which consists of the southern half of Wake County.

He will resign from the UNC-CH Board of Trustees on Jan. 29, after which he will begin his term in the state legislature. "I'll be leaving the Board of Trustees but not forgetting Chapel Hill," Stevens said Tuesday evening at his victory celebration.

The UNC-system Board of Governors will appoint a temporary replacement to carry out the remaining five months of Stevens' term on the BOT. In June, the BOG will appoint someone to a full four-year term.

"I hope they will bring in someone who is just as passionate about the job as Stevens was," said Student Body President Jen Daum.

Stevens said that although he will no longer serve on the BOT, he will continue to serve the University from his new position. "I've enjoyed working with the University, but I'm not going away," he said. "There will be many opportunities for me to work with the University, just in a different way."

Many have characterized Stevens, who has worked with a different student body president in each of his eight years on the BOT, as an advocate for student concerns.

"I tried to look out for all interests, but I certainly cared about student interests," he said. "I have no doubts that student issues will continue to be addressed by the board."

BOT Vice Chairman Stick Williams said Stevens will be an advocate for issues concerning UNC-CH in the N.C. General Assembly.

"He will bring firsthand knowledge of why these issues are important," Williams said. "He will be able to speak intelligently on issues important to this University."

Stevens said he hopes he was of value to the BOT. "I feel I brought a passion and critical eye to this institution."

Williams said he is sad to see Stevens go. "I just have great admiration for him," Williams said. "He has a great love for this University, and he was willing to tackle the tough issues. The University is a better place because of him."

As Stevens looks ahead to his position on the N.C. Senate, he also is looking back at his time on the BOT. "I am going to miss working with students, faculty and staff," he said. "I've enjoyed my experience on the board. It has been a very critical part of my life."