Student Congress to Elect Speaker to Succeed Larson

Congress members Carey Richter and Matt O'Brien said they intend to seek nomination, though any member can be nominated at the meeting, Larson said.

O'Brien and Richter are veterans in Congress, as both have held key positions. Richter is the chairwoman of the Student Affairs Committee, and O'Brien is the former speaker pro tem.

Larson must resign because he graduates in December, but he said he enjoyed his time as speaker. "I feel like a lot has been accomplished," he said. "We've worked to try to make Congress an active force for advocating student desires."

Larson said he will resign his position after Congress handles legislation on its agenda. Any committee chairmen seeking to become speaker then must resign their positions because Congress members cannot hold more than one post at a time.

The floor will be open for nominations from any member. Candidates will have five minutes to speak, followed by a five-minute question-and-answer session with the other members of Congress. Congress members also may speak on behalf of candidates they support.

O'Brien, who lost a close race to Larson in April, said that if he is elected, he will focus on Congress' financial situation. "Before our first meeting in January, we will have already spent one-third of our budget," he said. "Most of the problem comes from the fact that student fees have not increased in the last 10 to 15 years."

A referendum in a special election last year calling for increasing student fees was thrown out because of low voter turnout.

Richter said she also would address the financial situation of Congress.

"Student Congress has long been a body that is not seen as relevant, and that's unfair," Richter said. She pointed out that Congress has thousands of dollars to give to student groups each year.

Larson said he is confident that whoever is selected will serve Congress well. "Hopefully, Congress will continue to make its voice heard on campus."