Town Council Applauds Police, Suggests Improvements

Members express some safety concerns

Chapel Hill Police Chief Gregg Jarvies gave a presentation regarding the status of the police department at the session, citing crime statistics, employment vacancies and other areas of public interest, including drug enforcement and panhandling.

The session on public safety and downtown issues was planned at the council's Sept. 23 meeting, when council member Bill Strom expressed an interest in learning how the town was approaching drug, crime and traffic enforcement issues before addressing specific problems of panhandling and solicitation.

Jarvies said initiatives to limit street-level drug dealing are high on his list of priorities for the next year. A task force was formed last September to deal with drug dealing specifically in the Northside neighborhood, which is home to both longtime homeowners and students. The Franklin Street area is also a focus for drug enforcement.

In the 2001-02 fiscal year, 338 people were arrested in the Northside community, with 25 percent of those arrests drug-related.

"The majority of our drug enforcement focuses on two areas: the residential areas west of Columbia Street and the downtown area," Jarvies said.

Foot patrol officers work in the downtown district from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 a.m. to ensure safety in the area.

Some council members, however, said that they rarely see the officers patrolling the streets and that they are concerned about the safety of residents.

"I hear more and more about women who don't want to come downtown because they just aren't comfortable on the street," said council member Pat Evans.

The police department has 11 positions out of 113 total spots unfilled, which is about 10 percent of all positions.

Jarvies said as the department's financial situation improves, more officers could be hired to fill empty spots.

"The shortage comes out of patrol officers," he said. "(We want to) make people realize we are concerned about safety in the downtown area."

Franklin Street panhandling was a major cause of concern. Evans said she wanted to create more restrictions on panhandling.

"I don't know if we could look into the legality of banning panhandling at night, maybe," she said.

Jarvies responded to Evans by saying that Franklin Street is a safe place even though there are situations like panhandling that make people uncomfortable.

"It is frustrating -- frustrating for people who get tired of being approached six times in a one-block stroll," Jarvies said.

"But (panhandlers) are going to keep doing it as long as the pay is good."

Jarvies did agree to look into options for further panhandling restrictions.

Overall, the council members agreed that the police department, despite employee shortages, is doing a good job.

Council member Ed Harrison said, "After Halloween night, I think this force can do just about anything."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.