Triangle Mayors OK Tax Hike for Transit

Gas, vehicle registration prices will rise.

The coalition collaborated with the Regional Transportation Alliance, a nonprofit organization created in association with the chambers of commerce of all the constituent towns in 1998 by community and business leaders working to create transportation solutions in Research Triangle Park.

The proposal would add a 5 percent sales tax to gasoline and place a $20 increase on annual vehicle registration fees. The amount of the registration fee might increase further because the original plan, a 10 cent property tax on vehicles per $100 of value, might be unconstitutional, said Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker.

Meeker said the revenue would remain in its respective counties, where the exact use of the money would be decided locally. The communities would not be restricted in their options of how to use the funds, he said.

The plan still must be approved by the N.C. General Assembly.

Meeker said that the plan is important to the area due to mounting traffic concerns and that money raised by the planned tax increases could go to other needed projects, such as road widening.

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy said the current situation demands additional funding.

"We have a $8 billion shortfall in money available to provide roads and transportation systems," Foy said. "All this infrastructure is expensive. There's not enough funds from the state and federal government to put it in place."

He said if the money is approved by the General Assembly, one priority would be a train from Chapel Hill to the airport.

Meeker said that while the proposed tax hikes only would fund partially such expansive projects, the amount that would be received would be worth it.

"We could get 40 to 50 million dollars a year, which could take care of three to four traffic-related problems each year. This could be very significant," he said.

Officials at the N.C. Department of Transportation, which has been involved with the proceedings in an advisory role, support the plan.

"The needs are astronomical, and the DOT doesn't have the money," said Janet D'Ignazio, chief planning and environmental officer of the NCDOT.

Meeker said that the mayors and the RTA will continue to finalize the plan for several months and that the earliest the money could begin flowing in is next year.

Sen. Wib Gulley, D-Durham, who serves as chairman of the Senate Appropriations on Department of Transportation Committee, said that if it is introduced, the proposal will be difficult to pass, but that the challenge is worthwhile. "If we don't face up to our transportation challenges, economic vitality and quality of life will go down the tubes."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.