UNC Offers Monthly Payment Plan for Expenses

The program, which is offered through the external provider Tuition Management Systems, allows students to spread payments over five monthly interest-free installments per semester.

The enrollment fee for TMS is $40 for one semester and $55 for the year. The payment plan is available to all UNC-CH students.

Gwen Norwood, assistant director of information and financial systems, said this provides students an opportunity to spread their payments out into smaller, more manageable sums.

According to officials in the University Cashier's Office, about 1,200 students signed on to the program for the fall semester. TMS was expecting about 10 percent of the undergraduate population, or about 1,700 students, to sign on to the program.

Norwood said that early last summer, most UNC-CH students were sent letters informing them of the program.

The first payment for the spring semester is due today, but students who have not yet signed up with TMS can do so until Dec. 1, at which time they will have to pay the previous installments in addition to the $40 enrollment fee.

Officials said planning for a student payment plan started more than a year ago, when the administration learned that UNC-CH and N.C. State University were the only public universities in North Carolina without either an internal or external monthly payment option.

Norwood said a large committee of interested parties within the University looked at several external providers before deciding on TMS.

"TMS are innovators in their industry," she said. "They proved to us through their presentations that they are a solid company."

UNC-CH is under a two-year contract with TMS, but Norwood sees it as a permanent fixture.

"I don't see it going away," she said. "So far we have had good service."

Norwood also said enrollment in TMS's program is not necessary for all students, adding that students with financial aid would receive no added benefit by using TMS.

LaTricia White, an out-of-state senior, said she remembered getting information about TMS's payment plan in the mail. But White said that because of financial aid and loans, she did not enroll in the plan.

Cassie Rhodes, an in-state senior, said she also heard about some sort of monthly payment plan.

Rhodes said that her parents enrolled in a monthly payment plan for her brother, a sophomore at East Carolina University but that they pay one lump sum every semester for her expenses. She said she wasn't sure if her parents would have enrolled in TMS if it had been available at UNC-CH in previous years.

Students interested in enrolling in the plan should visit the TMS Web site at http://www.afford.com.