UNC's Gospel Choir

The co-ed choir was formed in 1971 as a subgroup of the Black Student Movement and is now one of its biggest subgroups.

"It was not really what I expected, " said Siobhan Johnson, a senior public relations major. "It is really social. New people are really well-accepted and get along so well."

Johnson said the group performs traditional songs, as well as more modern selections.

There are no auditions to join the choir, and the only requirement is to be a dues-paying member of BSM.

Once a semester, the choir puts together a concert in the Great Hall for students and faculty. This year, it's scheduled for 3 p.m. Sunday.

"Gospel members are very dedicated this year, and this is what it takes to get a good concert," said Latrina Wilson, a senior exercise and sports science major and president of the choir.

"We are able to get along great, and we sound great because we like what we do. There's no nervousness or anticipation, we just go in and do well."

In the past, the choir has performed at the N.C. Capitol Building and at Disney World's Epcot Center, as well as at numerous churches throughout the state.

In addition, the group is working with a youth program in Carrboro, where it is helping a youth choir to put together a concert for Christmas.

Last year, the choir competed for the first time -- in Rocky Mount against other college choirs.

"It was good to see how different people sing, and everyone was nice," Wilson said. "We enjoyed ourselves and just praised the Lord."

The choir requires a commitment of two practices per week, performances at churches on weekends and one concert every semester.

The group sings a minimum of four engagements a month at area churches. Choir Director Chris Cooper said the commitment is large but worth the time.

"This has been one of the greatest experiences of my life," said Cooper, a senior who has served as director for the last three years. "I cannot see myself as not being the director of the choir. The choir is like a family -- I wouldn't give it up for anything."

The choir released its first CD, Higher Praise, in November 1999.

Cooper said it took a lot of time, money and commitment to get the CD out because the choir did it on its own.

When they are not practicing for concerts, the choir members have outings, as well as lunches and dinners, to promote unity among the members.

"(Members) want to see the choir progress despite downfalls," Wilson said. "We still are a family and trying to do stuff for the greater good. We are not doing this for show."

Even though the choir members usually practices with instruments, sometimes they sing a cappella to get the kinks out, Wilson said. They also perform some songs a cappella, such as "Amazing Grace."

In addition to singing at practice, the group starts and ends with a prayer. Members engage in Bible study and serve on different committees within the choir.

Wilson said joining the choir has been a good experience for her.

"I am a senior this year, and I want to leave a legacy behind," she said. "I would hate to come back as an alumna and not have a gospel choir."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.