Vedder Vents, Band Proves Staying Power on 'Riot Act'

Pearl Jam
Riot Act

Mainstream music is one of the only areas where being in your late 30s makes you an elder statesman.

In that sense, the members of Pearl Jam qualify. But the band's sound still is relevant and has just as much life as it did a decade ago.

Riot Act is the group's seventh full-length studio album, not counting EPs, a live album and more than 70 "official" concert bootlegs.

This longevity isn't too shabby for a grunge band whose expiration date initially was set for the mid-'90s. Then again, Pearl Jam is still grunge as much as Justin Timberlake is still a Mouseketeer. These days, the Seattle quintet is doing just fine as an all-purpose rock band able to switch from punk explosions to ruminative folk to more experimental fare.

Riot Act makes good use of such variety. "Can't Keep" is a relatively quiet and atmospheric opener that segues into the edgy, insistent "Save You" with its crunching guitars. "Thumbing My Way" mixes sadness and hope with a distinct country tinge, while "Arc" is a minute's worth of landscape-traversing chants.

Musically, the band has never seemed tighter -- the album's tunes crackle with natural energy. Lyrically, frontman Eddie Vedder has new things to say.

A lot has happened since the band released its last album, Binaural, in May 2000. Nine fans were trampled to death during the band's performance at Denmark's Roskilde Festival the following June. Layne Staley, frontman for fellow Seattle outfit Alice in Chains, died of a cocaine and heroin overdose in April.

Also, George W. Bush became president following a very controversial election. Vedder probably was none too pleased with that outcome -- he vocally supported Green Party candidate Ralph Nader. Riot Act finally gives Vedder a chance to share his thoughts on record.

The title of "Bushleaguer" leaves little doubt as to whom the song is about. "Drilling for fear/Makes the job simple/ Born on third/Thinks he got a triple," Vedder speaks before singing, "Blackout weaves its way through the cities."

But Riot Act doesn't spend all of its time decrying the ills of government and big business -- there's plenty of personal revelation to go along with the sociopolitical commentary.

"Love Boat Captain" is one of the album's more exceptional songs in that, unlike the vast majority of the Pearl Jam catalogue, it isn't as open to interpretation as it refers to something more specific -- "Lost nine friends we'll never know two years ago today." This song is one of several that champion hope and love during times of trouble. It's a welcome change from the shoe-gazing for which the band was once known.

While Riot Act isn't a masterpiece, it is an extremely solid album containing a number of great songs. It also gives the impression that Pearl Jam's flame will continue to burn a while longer, regardless of age.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.