Watchdog Group: Some Campuses Restrict Speech

UNC gets high marks for protecting 1st Amendment

But students' rights are relatively safe at UNC, said Thor Halvorssen, executive director of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education.

FIRE works to defend the rights of students restricted and punished under prohibitive speech codes -- rights Halvorssen said are critical.

"When two-thirds of campuses have (manifestly) unconstitutional speech codes, I'd say there's a ferocious attack on free speech," he said.

Speech codes, or similar restrictions placed on campus activities, are used by institutions to limit students' expression

FIRE is evaluating colleges and universities across the country on how well they tolerate free speech.

Halvorssen said it is acceptable for private universities to prohibit some aspects of free speech as long as students know about restrictions before they apply. But he said public universities, which are funded by taxpayers, are obligated to be more open to free speech than private ones.

UNC is doing well in respecting the free speech rights of students, Halvorssen said. "If a student considers freedom of speech to be a paramount value, they'd be well advised to choose UNC over (other schools)."

A FIRE rating of "green" indicates that rights at a particular college or university generally are protected while a rating of "yellow" implies that speech restrictions are possible and a rating of "red" indicates that free speech is suppressed. UNC would receive a green rating, Halvorssen said.

He said the University takes a balanced stance on racial and sexual harassment, not being too restrictive or admissive. "They aren't going to turn someone's Playboy pinup into a sexual harassment case," Halvorssen said.

He said that former UNC-system President Bill Friday did a good job developing policies that protect free speech and ensuring that no one would deny students' rights.

Friday presided over the system during the 1963 Speaker Ban, which outlawed Communist speakers from campus. Friday's efforts eventually helped remove the ban. "Administrators must be responsible when it comes to interpretation," he said.

But, he said, "At UNC there are some troubling aspects as to how vague some of the policies are."

Chuck Stone, a UNC journalism professor who specializes in censorship, said that overall the University takes a good stance on free speech rights. "We're in good shape," he said. "Things change; things are constantly improving."

Stone said that First Amendment issues, such as the controversy over this year's summer reading assignment -- "Approaching the Qur'