Animation and Fine Art Galleries Display Original Artwork

Across from Radio Shack and catty corner from Chick-fil-A, not only Picasso but other great masters such as Marc Chagall, Salvador Dali and Claude Monet share wall space with original Looney Tunes cels and drawings.

Associate Director Gregory Lacks pointed out that many collectors see animation as a work of fine art.

"It can almost hold its own with fine art," Lacks said.

Animation and Fine Art Galleries seeks to serve clientele interested in either ends of the spectrum, from Pluto to Pissarro.

"Overall, you're looking at two different groups of people. Rarely will someone want a Dali and a cel of Mickey Mouse," Lacks said.

About 60 percent of the gallery's clients come from out of state, and roughly 30 percent of these are international.

Animation and Fine Art Galleries operates from Chapel Hill in part because of rent and overhead costs much lower than those found in New York, Los Angeles or London.

And it is the only gallery in North Carolina that sells original works by the masters. Unlike many galleries, which display pieces by local artists procured for free, Animation and Fine Art Galleries purchases its works and must show them until they sell.

The gallery's special exhibitions are "The Gift of Art" and "The Grinch, Bugs Bunny and Marvin the Martian."

Surprisingly, these collections are dispersed throughout the gallery -- no large signs or obvious clusters signal their significance.

"The Grinch, Bugs Bunny and Marvin the Martian" hangs on the back wall. Animation and Fine Art Galleries acquired the Chuck Jones drawings and cels directly from his daughter's organization, Linda Jones Enterprises.

"The Gift of Fine Art" consists of original pieces, many of them lithographs, priced near $500. With Picassos and Dalis on sale, this is considered "affordable" art for the holidays.

"The local art-buying public doesn't know they can acquire an original work by Dali for less than a local artist," Lacks said.

"We're interested in investment potential rather than matching a sofa pattern."

The exhibits will run until Dec. 31. For price and purchase information, call 968-8008 or visit http://www.animationandfineart.com.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.