Candidates Meet to Discuss New Rules

The meeting was the first time the Board of Elections has met with future candidates to discuss the new rules under the Larson-Daum Campaign Reform Act of 2002.

The act, passed Nov. 12, changed the overall design of student elections. Most notably, the new laws now require candidates to fund their campaign only with money allocated by Student Congress. They also raised the number of signatures required for students to file a valid petition for candidacy.

Brian Fauver, chairman of the Board of Elections, said to the candidates Tuesday, "Let's be honest, it's going to be more work for the campaigns." But he later added that he thinks the reform was a positive change and said, "It will lead to a lot more accountability on the candidates."

Junior Matt Tepper, who intends to run for student body president, said right now he is busy talking to people about next semester's elections and getting his campaign organized. His campaign manager is junior Susan Navarro.

Tepper said he likes the new reform act but is nervous about how much money will be taken from student activity funds. He said, "(The increased number of signatures needed) will be a challenge, but it should be able to show your dedication to the campaign."

Tepper said next semester's elections are a trial run to see if the new reform will work.

Also running for student body president is junior Nathan Cherry. He said the new reform definitely will make the campaign tougher, but he said, "It makes a situation where a candidate has to focus on the campaign."

Cherry's campaign manager, Jon Harris, said, "It will cut down a lot on joke candidates."

Although just a small number of candidates came to the interest meeting, Fauver said he does not remember there being any more or less people there last year. He said the mandatory meeting in January is when all the candidates will come out.

But he said it was advantageous for candidates who did attend last night's meeting. With all the changes in the student government general election laws, candidates need to be aware of the new rules or the board will catch them, Fauver said. He said the board is both the police and the judge -- it does it all.

Fauver warned candidates that they are responsible for everything in the code.

To receive student government financing, candidates must obtain official recognition as a student organization and have a treasurer certified by the student body treasurer's office.

The next meeting for student government elections is Jan. 14. That meeting is mandatory for all hopeful candidates. Petitions will be handed out at that time and are due by 5 p.m. Jan. 21.