COSC OKs Modest Changes To Code

Major changes put off for more review

After much debate about possible complications, COSC members decided to leave most of the discussed changes out of the proposal -- implementation of the "XF" grade, changes to students' basic rights and a complainant's right to appeal all were put off for future review.

The committee did make numerous wording changes to the Honor Code but none that would significantly impact policy. "There is fine-tuning (left), but I think we have the substance to it," said Judith Wegner, COSC chairwoman.

Aaron Hiller, student body vice president and COSC member, said the committee effectively has addressed the problems with the old system, adding that the bulk of the revisions to the Instrument of Student Judicial Governance will make the system easier to understand.

"The instrument will become an easier document to work with," Hiller said.

"I've worked with it for three years, and I still think I need a law degree to understand it as it was."

But he clarified that the revisions will make an important difference. "It's not just a semantic change; it's going to have a real effect," he said.

COSC will send the proposed revisions to Chancellor James Moeser on Dec. 15. If he approves the changes, the revisions will be sent to Student Congress.

Hiller said that once Student Body President Jen Daum or Speaker Carey Richter sponsors the proposal, it likely will take a month to work through Congress. He added that the proposal will be put on a consent calendar, which will make it closed to amendments.

"I'm going to let (Congress) know that this is a one-shot thing," said Richter at the COSC meeting.

The committee also discussed funding for the program and ways to educate UNC's student body and faculty about the honor system.

Proposals included a required Web-based quiz that would familiarize students with the honor system before they attend UNC. Committee members also talked about working with the summer reading program to pick a work that illuminates honor and hosting a lecture series.

Richter proposed printing the Honor Code on students' UNC ONE Cards.

To permanently fund the honor system, Wegner suggested putting a request on the February student ballot referendum and then asking for matching funds from the chancellor or a donor.

But Richter said that with so many issues on the ballot, it is not likely to pass. She said, "Kids aren't going to want to give money to the people that catch you cheating."