Family Remembers Law Student, 23

An autopsy has been performed, but results will not be available for several weeks.

Steven Becker, Christopher Becker's father, speculated that there might have been an interaction between Christopher Becker's medication and dietary supplements or an underlying heart condition. But he said there was nothing found in the apartment to indicate how or why he died.

Family members say Christopher Becker, a second-year law student, lived a life full of success. Not only did he excel in academics, but he also was a skilled writer and guitar player.

"I can't say enough good things about him," said Steven Becker. "He was a nice young man with a good head on his shoulders."

Originally from Superior, Wis., and later residing in Myrtle Beach, S.C., Christopher Becker graduated magna cum laude in three years from Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., with a degree in political science.

Steven Becker said his son was inquisitive and set high standards for himself. "You couldn't find someone more intuitive than (Christopher Becker)," Steven Becker said. "He was the kind of man that had high expectations for himself."

After graduating from Coastal Carolina University, Christopher Becker applied to six of the top law schools in the nation and later chose to enroll in UNC.

He entered the School of Law last year but had to take off the second semester for medical reasons, Steven Becker said. He was readmitted to the school for the fall 2002 semester.

Christopher Becker had a passion for playing the guitar and writing and enjoyed doing both in his free time.

Steven Becker said that his son had a gift for writing, especially for satirical works, and that he had some of his stories published in local newspapers during his undergraduate years.

"He was an outstanding writer," Steven Becker said. "Some of the stuff he put on paper was simply astonishing."

Steven Becker said that his son's creativity and inquisitive nature were two of his defining characteristics and that he will be missed by his friends and family.

"He was the kind of person people wanted to talk to and be around."