Griffin Re-elected Employee Forum Chairman

Chancellor James Moeser gave a statement regarding his recent remarks concerning UNC-Chapel Hill Vice Chancellor and General Counsel Susan Ehringhaus, and he remained to pass out certificates of achievement to the departing delegates, putting in a plug for Griffin's re-election.

"You have a big heart, and it shows," Moeser said. "I want to thank you for it."

Griffin, the only candidate for the position, was unanimously re-elected by voice vote.

"I promise to do more if I can," Griffin said. "And always, always, let's think about each other."

In the past year, Griffin has been recognized for his thus far unsuccessful attempt to get an employee seat on the UNC Board of Trustees.

Griffin said he thinks the faculty is underrepresented with the administration, and even after the proposal was rejected once, Griffin continued to raise the issue.

The chairman recently formed a task force of former Employee Forum chairmen to look into the feasibility of getting representation on the BOT. The committee should have a report in the near future.

He also has adopted the cause of raising employee salaries, which he says are significantly below market value.

After two straight years of employees receiving little or no pay increases, Griffin and others are looking into the option of campus-based tuition money funding those salaries.

Griffin is lobbying for that option while he serves on UNC's Tuition Task Force and presented the committee with an Employee Forum resolution supporting the alternative.

The chancellor embraced Griffin in a show of his congratulations before departing the meeting.

James Bennett, an employee of the administration services department, was elected to the position of vice chairman.

Joanne Kucharski, an employee of the University Registrar's Office who served as chairwoman in 2000, was elected to the position of secretary.

Griffin emphasized that everyone had done great work this past year and encouraged delegates to return again in January.

He also expressed his congratulations to the new officials. "I'm a very firm supporter that the staff and students and faculty need to work together."