In Brief: University and Towns

Interest Meeting Tonight For Student Elections

Students interested in running in the general student elections this spring can attend an introductory meeting at 7:30 p.m. today in the Union Auditorium.

The meeting is for students interested in running for student body president, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, president of the Carolina Athletic Association, president of the Residence Hall Association, senior class officers and Student Congress.

The meeting is not mandatory for all candidates, but Board of Elections Chairman Brian Fauver said interested students are encouraged to attend.

Elections board officials will go over the rules of the election and conduct regulations for candidates and hand out the recently revised election code to candidates.

Students who have questions can send an e-mail to boardofelections@unc.edu or call 962-VOTE.

Alumnus Creates Fund To Honor Doug Clark

UNC alumnus Mike Haley remembers fondly the good times he enjoyed listening to legendary fraternity party band Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts.

And through a $25,000 endowment creating the Doug Clark "Thanks for the Memories" memorial fund, the 1960 UNC graduate hopes those who enjoyed his music will benefit from this need-based scholarship.

Clark, a lifetime Chapel Hill resident who had provided entertainment to UNC students for nearly 50 years, died Sept. 16 after a long illness.

Checks to the Doug Clark "Thanks for the Memories" scholarship fund may be mailed to UNC's Office of University Development, P.O. Box 309, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.