U.S. Must Follow World's Example by Abolishing Use of the Death Penalty

It has been said that it would be better for all the guilty to go free than to execute a single innocent man. I agree. And so I wonder when the better angels of America's nature will prompt its leaders to place the United States among the civilized nations of the world that have abolished the death penalty.

The United States, the world's superpower, is the only NATO country that executes its own citizens.

This "life is cheap" conduct has evoked condemnation by the United Nations, the Council of Europe, the Organization of the American States and the World Council of the Churches. And it should.

Furthermore, a U.N. resolution calling for a moratorium was endorsed by 109 nations. The last time this issue came to a vote in the United Nations, the United States found itself in the uncomfortable position of voting with Iran and Iraq, countries that our very own president termed the "Axis of Evil." What kind of message is this?

Right now I challenge all who are reading to become actively involved in the fight against the death penalty by educating yourself about the issue.

The next time you see a table set up in the Pit by the UNC Campaign to End the Death Penalty, please stop by and give them an opportunity to share valuable knowledge with you. Thanks.

Stephanie Hunter
Graduate Student
School of Social Work