UNC Campus Forgiving of Moeser Error

Ehringhaus error admission gains support

Several prominent UNC-system leaders, including President Molly Broad, criticized Moeser's actions Monday.

Later that day, the chancellor admitted that his decision to pay Ehringhaus almost $320,000 for eight months of work in Washington, D.C. and one year of teaching at the UNC-CH School of Law was a mistake.

Though his decision previously has garnered criticism from University faculty and staff, some now say they admire Moeser for admitting his error.

"I think it's a pretty bold thing for someone to acknowledge they made a mistake," said Margaret Leigh, Faculty Council executive committee member. "It's increased my respect for him."

But although some are pleased with Moeser's admittance of fault, others have not received his decision as well. An anonymous flier was posted around campus Tuesday calling for a chant of "Fire Moeser" during Saturday's nationally televised home basketball game.

But Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller said such criticism is inappropriate. "In my job I get to work with the chancellor more closely than many people, and I can tell you that the chancellor is a friend of the students and a fair administrator," he said. "These comments are completely out of line."

Law Professor Charles Daye, another member of the Faculty Council's executive committee, said he hopes the University can move past the decision and continue to push forward. "(The chancellor) has made an extraordinary statement. We should take it at face value and move on."

Some faculty members said it is important to consider the chancellor's very prominent -- and very public -- standing at the University as a contributing factor to the attention his decision has drawn.

"When administrators make mistakes, they're very public mistakes that invite a lot of criticism," said Noelle Granger, professor of cell and developmental biology and member of the Faculty Council executive committee.

She also said Moeser's decision might not have been such a large issue if not for UNC's budget concerns. "The University is going through tough times with the budget, and any issue involving money raises a red flag."

Employee Forum Chairman Tommy Griffin said he does not think Moeser's statement would cast a negative light on UNC. "I hope that the University can stand on its own credentials and not let one incident diminish it," he said.

Similarly, Hiller said he does not think the University's relationship with the UNC system would be strained because of the ordeal. "UNC-Chapel Hill is going to continue to be the crown jewel of the UNC system," he said. "One decision made when we're feeling it in our pocketbook isn't going to make a difference."

But faculty members hope administrators will learn from the incident and be encouraged to increase the flow of information between administration and faculty and staff. "I hope people will see there has to be stronger communication lines to prevent things like this in the future," Leigh said.

Still, Griffin said he believes the campus must support Moeser. "We set an example for the other universities of this state, and we need to set an example showing we can stand behind our chancellor."