Volleyball Aims for Better Banner

This year, UNC expects that to change.

"This year's squad is better. That's the bottom line," said outside hitter Malaika Underwood. "We have a good seed, which helps us out, and the seniors are really motivated. So those three things together, we have a great opportunity to do something special."

The statistics back her up.

No. 14 North Carolina's winning percentage of .909 is the highest in school history. UNC (30-3) has hovered between 11 and 15 in the polls for most of this season. The previous high for an ACC team was 13, set by Clemson in 1999.

Outside hitter Laura Greene, voted the ACC player of the year, is the first Tar Heel to record 1,500 digs and 1,500 kills in her career. She was named to the all-ACC first team, along with setter Eve Rackham, who is second in career assists. Sophomore Molly Pyles was named to the all-ACC second team.

However, all of the individual and team accolades could not prevent the Tar Heels from losing to Florida State in the second round of the ACC Tournament two weekends ago.

But after a tuneup 3-1 victory against Marquette on Friday, UNC is refocused on one goal -- winning an NCAA title.

"Just because we lost ACCs doesn't mean we can't go far in the tournament," Underwood said. "To tell you the truth, having a NCAA banner is way more prestigious than having an ACC championship banner. We like our seed, and we think that we have a good chance of getting a banner up there."

UNC is seeded third in the central region of the bracket and 11th overall. When tournament play begins on Thursday, the first obstacle in North Carolina's way is Winthrop (28-10), winner of the Big South conference championship.

"We're looking at a team that won their conference, so their feeling positive, they're successful, they're a winning team," said UNC coach Joe Sagula. "Any team you play is coming here with a winning season, and they're going to be dangerous."

Sagula said that his team has been watching tape of the Eagles and is wary of Winthrop's outside hitters, Mary Hock and Jennifer Pritchard, who have very contrasting styles.

Controlling the outside hitters and also the tempo will be key for the Tar Heels. It is something that they could not do in their loss to the Seminoles, when Florida State's Erica Bunch and Kristin Frye dictated the pace of the game. As a result, the Seminoles broke down UNC's typically strong defense.

The team believes that a repeat performance is not in the cards.

"We expect to win," Greene said. "We don't expect to go home in the first round the way we have since I've been here. I think that's a huge change in the mindset of the program."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.