Woodworking Class Enriches High School Courses, Students

This seemingly incomprehensible combination of subjects glides easily through the students' minds as they learn from their teacher Keith Yow how to make furniture and cabinets.

Yow has been teaching the furniture-making class in Orange County for the last 10 years -- nine years at Orange High School and one year at newly opened Cedar Ridge.

"It was a generic introductory program, and I transformed it into a cabinet and furniture-making class my second year," said Yow, who received a master's degree in industrial education at Appalachian State University.

He also started a program called WoodLINKS in which he brings local businesses in to help teach the students and to help with procuring better materials.

"We're undertaking a pilot program," Yow said. "It is an industrial education partnership where we try to get local businesses involved in teaching these kids."

The class has two levels, beginner and advanced. The beginner class has three basic projects -- traditional stools, small boxes and tables. The projects for the advanced class are driven and designed by the students.

Josiah Whitney, a sophomore at Cedar Ridge, said Yow allows for creative freedom. "He lets us do our own things," Whitney said. "He's a great teacher. I'm probably going to take it all four years."

Kathy Osborne, an associate superintendent for Orange County Schools, said the class provides an outlet for students to apply their knowledge practically.

"For many students it is an avenue to use the things they learn in a real world way," she said.

The physical manifestation of completed work is exactly what some students, such as Orange High School senior Ashley Hilton, like about the technical skill classes.

"Rather than in academic classes, you have a physical final product that you can look at," Hilton said.

Hilton is one of nine students who travel from Orange High School to Cedar Ridge to take Yow's class.

Hilton said Yow's enthusiasm for the class is part of what makes him a great teacher.

"He makes everything that he teaches exciting because he's excited about it. ... He's probably the best teacher I've ever had," she said. "I'm looking to continue this through college."

Yow's class produced nine national finalists in two student design competitions held by the Association of Wood Workers and Furniture Suppliers and the International WoodWorker's Fair.

The IWF is a collegiate competition, and it was the first time in its history that high school students were allowed to participate. One of the finalists in the IWF's competition was from Yow's class.

Officials say the importance of having technical classes in the school system lies in the ability of the classes to add more depth to the curriculum.

"It brings a balance to the curriculum. ... They provide more choices and options (for the students)," said Kim Hoke, spokeswoman for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

Yow said the significance also has a psychological element. "Many of these kids need self-confidence," he said. "I see their glowing faces at the end of the year when they display their work."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.