A Reactionary Response To Fighting Terrorism Would Trample Rights

Each semester, I look forward to the first week of classes, hoping anew that the next crop of editorial page columnists will be at worst mildly entertaining and at best actually have something meaningful to say.

You can imagine my horror when the first column I chanced to read was Felix Lurye's "Preventing Terrorism Requires A No-Holds-Barred Approach." I don't think that I have the words to describe the nature of his diatribe, but I will do my best to come up with a list: racist, jingoist, reactionary and anti-American are the first few that come to mind. The only thing more terrifying than the prospect of unchecked terrorist activity in these United States is the remedy to that possibility proposed by Lurye and his ilk.

Young Felix rightfully decries past enemies such as fascists and communists, supposedly reveling in our freedoms and the greatness of the USA! Unfortunately, he seems to have completely missed the boat as to what those freedoms mean.

"It's precisely the fact that these people are young, Muslim and Middle Eastern that potentially makes them our enemies."

"When will we finally begin to profile potential enemies of our great country?"

These statements are eerily reminiscent of two men. One whose actions and brainchild -- the House Un-American Activities Committee -- left a stain on the U.S. Congress that is still apparent. And another who ordered the murder of 6 million Jews and other "undesirables" in the 1940s.

"When are we going to start making sure that mosques and other Muslim centers aren't being used to inspire hate and violence, as they are every day, under the auspices of "free speech?"

Under the auspices of "free speech," what exactly are the "auspices of free speech?" I assume that Mr. Lurye is referring to the Bill of Rights, under which we, as Americans, are afforded the rights to free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of assembly. These freedoms are obviously a terrible mistake in light of the fact that we have been attacked by terrorists. They should be curtailed immediately or at least all freedom requests should be first be submitted for approval to the Department of Defense. Perhaps a secret police force is the way to go.

"We know who are enemies are. Let's stop lying to ourselves about what needs to be done and vanquish them -- at any cost."

Heil Felix!