Carrboro Man Arrested for Rape

Charges also include kidnapping, assault

Police arrested a 38-year-old Carrboro man Thursday night on charges that he kidnapped a woman from a parking lot and raped her at a Jones Ferry Road apartment complex the day before, Carrboro police reports state.

Douglas Alfonzo Reaves Jr. of 601 Jones Ferry Road, Apt. H4, was arrested and charged with two felony counts of first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping and one misdemeanor count of assault on a female.

The Sterling Brook Apartments' resident remained in Orange County jail on $250,000 bail Tuesday night, said Lt. Jim Phillips.

Reports state that police went to the apartment complex about 1 a.m. Thursday after a 911 call reported that a woman was screaming. Upon arrival, police talked to a woman in her 20s who said she was fine and wanted to go home.

But later that day, the victim went to the Police Department and filed a report stating that she was abducted about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday from a parking lot near the apartment complex.

The woman was transported to UNC Hospitals, where an examination was conducted to obtain DNA evidence. She also was treated for other minor injuries and later released, officials said.

The suspect was arrested at 9:15 p.m. Thursday after police located him on the 300 block of West Main Street, reports state. Police officials said that the victim and suspect were acquainted and that alcohol and drugs were not involved in the incident.

According to criminal history records obtained by The (Raleigh) News & Observer, the suspect had an extensive criminal record that included convictions for common-law robbery, driving while impaired, driving with a revoked license, possession of stolen goods and larceny and had repeated convictions for worthless checks and forgery.