Democrats Embrace Pro-Abortion Stance To Help Win Support

Many Democrats are reaffirming their support for the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision on the eve of its 30th anniversary in hopes that taking a stance will increase their popularity among undecided and moderate voters.

Five potential Democratic presidential nominees expressed their endorsement of legal abortions Tuesday at the Pro-Choice America's dinner in Washington, D.C. The event was held by the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights Action League.

The candidates -- U.S. Sens. John Kerry, D-Mass.; John Edwards, D-N.C.; and Joe Lieberman, D-Conn.; along with former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean and U.S. Rep. Richard Gephardt, D-Mo. -- all gave speeches at the pro-abortion dinner.

Political pundits say these Democrats took a stance to gain political support because they realize what dire straits their party is in when faced with President Bush's high approval ratings.

Democrats' reaffirmation of Roe v. Wade is a political ploy, said Michael Munger, a Duke University political science professor. "Abortion is a core issue for the Democrats and is an issue that makes a lot of Republicans nervous," he said. "Republicans control both houses of Congress right now and the presidency, so the Democrats are shouting, 'The sky is falling.'"

Munger said backing abortion with more force is a good fund-raising tool to show supporters that the party is endangered by what likely will be a strong Republican incumbent who will bring in monetary contributions. "Reaffirming the abortion issue also reminds women voters that the Republicans are against it," he said. "The Democrats want to recruit the middle-of-the-road women voters."

But some say that while Democrats are using the issue to their advantage now, abortion might not be a key component of the 2004 election.

Abortion should not have a big impact on the presidential race because it is an issue that knows no boundaries, said Derrick Jones, spokesman for the National Right to Life, an anti-abortion organization. "The pro-life stance is an advantage since many people are in favor of the pro-life candidate," he said. "It's important for anybody in politics. (Pro-abortion advocates) have their own ideas on how they court their voters, and we have ours."

Laura Stoker, a political science professor at the University of California-Berkeley, said political candidates generally side-step the abortion issue.

But she said the 30-year anniversary of Roe v. Wade gives Democrats a chance to capitalize on the differences between the two political parties. A majority of Americans are pro-abortion, Stoker said.

Highlighting the two parties' differing opinions on abortion brings up memories from the 1996 campaign, in which the abortion issue was a problem for the Republicans, said Henry Brady, a political science professor and director of the Survey Research Center at UC-Berkeley.

"Democrats would like for (abortion) to be an issue, but Republicans wouldn't -- just like Republicans want affirmative action to be an issue and Democrats don't."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.