Discrimination Lies in Not Allowing Students To Choose Their Leaders

The Queer Network for Change response to the current InterVarsity controversy highlights the need for further clarity in this matter.

The administration needs to define exactly what is and what is not "wrongful discrimination" in an appropriate manner (i.e. with common sense). Let's recognize that no one questions the rightness of allowing all students to join an organization. The issue is leadership. InterVarsity and other student groups are interest groups. As such they have specific goals in mind.

For InterVarsity, that goal is forming a Christian community at UNC centered in Jesus Christ, a community which in turn welcomes other students by inviting them to know Jesus. For the QNC, also a student interest group, the goal is offering support and advocacy for those pursuing non-heterosexual lifestyles (see their Web page).

It certainly would not make sense for the University to force QNC to allow someone who does not support their beliefs to lead their group. The function of a leader is to help a group envision where it wants to go and then get there.

For the QNC to move forward and for members to feel like they have a purpose, they need a leader who agrees with their position. Likewise, InterVarsity needs leaders who are dedicated to the Christian mission. That is the only way to keep the "interest" (i.e. focus) in student interest groups and thus preserve true diversity.

That brings me to Harper's comment that "exempting one group undermines the purpose of the policy." What is the purpose of the policy? Assumedly, it is equal rights for all students to pursue their interests freely. Only groups that are allowed intentionally to pursue a certain focus can truly offer equal opportunity to all students.