Editorial Cartoon About 'Post Office Kids' Falls Under Protected Speech

Graham Denzler spoke on the offended behalfs of those people, young or old, who hang out in front of the post office on Franklin Street. Denzler, if you're reading, I'm glad you spoke up.

Franklin Street is very college-oriented, so true, without a large variety of tastes represented. I am lucky enough to enjoy good independent films, waffle or omelet breakfasts, pizza and jazz. So there are places on Franklin and Rosemary streets for me to go. Oh yes, and I like books, too.

I guess I am a college jerk, whose college is paid for by scholarships and loans because my parents are middle-working class whose Oldsmobile was bought by my grandmother with life insurance money she received when her husband, my grandfather, died nine years ago and whose rent is paid in part by the same grandmother with the same money, while I work part-time and go to class.

You demand a front-page apology for what? The expression of free speech? No, it was not altogether a nice thing for Stephens to (draw), but you are not very nice either, now are you? I think most people here at college are not so foolish to think that being a "post office kid" is nearly as silly as the cartoon makes it out to be (though I could be wrong there), but that's the point for political and editorial cartoons -- to satirize.

It was a well-drawn cartoon, and it was funny, even if it was rude. There's no accounting for taste in humor. I did not realize that kids with mohawks and tattoos were so politically correct. I guess we do learn new things in college all the time.