Greene Earns All-America Honors

North Carolina senior outside hitter Laura Greene was named an All-American by the American Volleyball Coaches Association last month. Greene, a third-team selection, is the first All-American in program history.

Greene, the ACC Player of the Year and an AVCA First-Team All-Region selection, holds school records for career attempts and career digs. This season she recorded 536 kills and 487 digs to lead the Tar Heels. She finished the year second in the ACC with 4.47 kills and 4.02 digs per game.

Peppers Named Top Defensive Rookie

Despite serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, Carolina Panthers and former UNC defensive end Julius Peppers was named the AP Defensive Rookie of the Year on Monday.

Before the suspension, Peppers had 12 sacks, second among rookies to Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney, who finished with 13 sacks.

"When I first came into this season, I felt that I had a chance to win this award if I played up to my potential and did what I knew I could do," Peppers said. "I was never focused on winning individual awards. I just tried to help the team out and do all that I could do."

Wrestling Places 15th at Midlands

The North Carolina wrestling team finished 15th at the annual Midlands in Evanston, Ill., on Dec. 29. Chris Rodrigues was the top finisher for the Tar Heels. He placed eighth after defeating Iowa State's Jessee Sundell (F 2:54).

Swimmers Sweep Westminster

The UNC men's and women's swimming teams defeated the Westminster College swimmers in a dual meet Friday in Phoenix.

UNC scored only one swimmer per event, choosing to swim most of its entries as exhibition swimmers.

UNC won both the men's and women's meets by a score of 35-28.

The Tar Heel women improved to 5-1 on the season, while the UNC men upped their record to 4-2.