IFC Funds To Keep Homestart Operating

Projected to stay open until June 30

Despite losing 80 percent of its funding, Project Homestart, which provides temporary housing for homeless families in Chapel Hill, will remain open until June 30.

The project lost $366,156 when the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development decided to reallocate funds to other programs that provide for permanent affordable housing.

"For this grant to go away is really going to make it difficult for the homeless community," said Chris Moran, executive director of the Inter-Faith Council.

Project Homestart is one of many programs controlled by IFC, which includes a crisis intervention center, a soup kitchen and an overnight shelter. IFC officials said this week that they will continue to provide services for the project even though the funding from HUD will end March 31.

IFC has an under-expenditure of $40,000 to $50,000, but it will take $90,000 to fund the project until June.

Moran said IFC will cover the extra cost by "being frugal" and through community help during its spring fund-raising campaign.

"We're not going to sacrifice any of our services," said Moran. "We're hopeful revenues come in at the end of the year."

IFC is lobbying local U.S. congressional representatives to try to get the funding back, but Moran admitted that it would be difficult to restore the funding.

"This administration is not interested in continuing services as they once were," Moran said.

Support for Project Homestart could come from the Orange County Board of Commissioners, who addressed the issue at a meeting late Tuesday.

"We want the federal authorities, who are responsible for the program, to pay for it," said Commissioner Barry Jacobs.

Jacobs said he expects the resolution to pass as long as it does not take money away from other programs.

IFC will delay closing of the project until the end of its fiscal year because it wants to be equitable to all of those involved, said Moran.

"The decision was made in fairness to our employees and the families of the homeless families," Moran said.

HUD, which has funded the project since 1998, decided to reallocate the project's funding and provide an additional $262,140 for permanent affordable housing.

The project is a transitional housing program and supports 15 families at a time. Each family can stay up to two years.

Families begin by paying $20 a month, which increases by $20 for each successive month. The adults are required to attend workshops and the children classes.

The goal of the program is to provide homeless families with the abilities and skills they will need to live without aid.

The two requirements for admission to the program are that the family must have at least one child and be homeless.

Moran said that for these families, he will do all he could to make sure the project stays open as long as it can."I am hopeful we will find a solution or solutions."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.