Many Legislators Want Shorter Sessions

Legislative session limits have been a subject of contention in the N.C. General Assembly for years, but this year's incoming class of lawmakers could give them greater consideration.

Eighty percent of incoming state senators and 48 percent of representatives said they would favor some change in the length of legislative sessions, according to a survey released Monday by The Associated Press.

Forty-seven of 120 incoming House members and half of the 50 incoming senators responded to the survey, which was sent to all members of the General Assembly after the Nov. 5 election.

Under the state constitution, legislators can propose a referendum but not a bill concerning session limits. N.C. residents must directly approve any changes to session length.

Sen. David Hoyle, D-Cleveland, has introduced a bill calling for a referendum every year since 1995. Last year, the bill passed the Senate by an overwhelming majority but failed in the House.

"It really boggled my mind, and I think that (the bill's failure) was a mistake," said Senate Minority Leader Patrick Ballantine, R-New Hanover. "We have to have a deadline. Unfortunately, the General Assembly procrastinates."

The state constitution suggests lengths for the legislative session, but legislators are not required to comply.

Over the past two years, the General Assembly has had historically long sessions. In 2001, legislators met during every calendar month, although they were only scheduled to meet for 180 days. In 2002, the session ran from May to October, shattering the recommended 90-day short session length.

Ballantine argued that if the legislature continues meeting for long periods of time, the average person will not be able to participate in the legislature.

"We are supposed to have a part-time citizens' legislature -- meaning not just the elite, not just the wealthy, but the farmer, the teacher and everyday people from all walks of life," he said.

Amy Fulk, spokesperson for Senate President Pro Tem Marc Basnight, D-Dare, said the extended sessions might sway some returning legislators to vote for a session limits referendum. "Given that over the last couple months we've been in session for record lengths, I would expect some lawmakers who have not supported (session limits) in the past to be for it," she said.

But Rep. Joe Hackney, D-Orange said he thinks legislators should not rush to give up the power of determining the session's length because of a few extended sessions. He also said the last thing the General Assembly needs is to rush through legislation just to meet a deadline.

"If somebody tells you you have to finish by a certain date, then you have given away a significant portion of your power," Hackney said. "Why would you stop if you haven't finished?"

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.