Officials Ask for Tougher Restrictions

Some push for stricter irrigation limits.

Local government officials on Thursday sent the Orange Water and Sewer Authority back to tweak its water-use ordinance before it comes to a vote next week.

Town and county officials heard a presentation from OWASA board member Lee Culpepper and then made a handful of suggestions they asked OWASA to address when finalizing its proposal.

In its Water Conservation Rules and Standards, OWASA officials have proposed increasing year-round conservation efforts to mitigate any future droughts by having a larger emergency supply. They also decided to reconfigure the different restriction stages of the ordinance.

But some of the officials asked OWASA to intensify certain aspects of the standards to avoid the severe conditions brought on by last summer's drought.

The OWASA board of directors has been retooling the ordinance to make it stricter after Orange County's most severe drought in history.

The public was presented with OWASA's proposal in December of 2002. After receiving a great deal of feedback, officials reconvened and made some changes.

They returned Jan. 9 for more public feedback, which they later discussed at a private meeting. That revised draft is what was presented to town and county officials Thursday.

When talks began, Carrboro Alderman Jacquelyn Gist expressed concern about the early stages' allowance of spray irrigation. "I'd like to see restrictions on watering grass as soon as there's a problem," she said.

Alderman Joal Broun went further and said she thinks the proposal should be harsher on all types of irrigation. "Water is to eat, drink and wash," she said. "The purpose of water is not to have a green lawn."

Chapel Hill Town Council member Bill Strom said that the proposal didn't send a strong enough message early on and that people wouldn't take the restrictions seriously until a crisis situation set in.

To this comment, council member Mark Kleinschmidt replied that OWASA should charge people a great deal for exceeding the average water consumption limit. "You can get them to turn the water off themselves," he said.

Council member Pat Evans said she thinks the notification process for those who were violating the water restrictions needs amending also. She said OWASA needs to mail notices rather than attaching them to doors.

OWASA board of directors Chairwoman Bernadette Pelissier said OWASA would discuss all of the comments made by the officials. "We will certainly keep you apprised of all that's happening at OWASA," she said.

OWASA now will take all the comments and devise a final draft to return to the town and county officials for a vote next week.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.