Police Roundup

3 Vehicles Broken Into In Carrboro Complex

Carrboro police are investigating a series of vehicle break-ins in the Sterling Bluffs Apartment complex on BPW Club Road that happened late Thursday or early Friday, reports state.

In separate incidents, which police officials said might be linked, unidentified thieves broke into three cars, stealing CD players and other car audio equipment.

On Friday at 8:28 a.m., a 78-year-old woman reported that her 1997 Nissan Sentra was broken into through the rear vent window and that a $300 CD player was stolen, reports state.

Later that same day, a 29-year-old Sterling Bluffs resident discovered that her 1997 red Honda Civic had been broken into. Police reports state that the right-side window was pried open and that the dash was damaged in the process of removing the stereo.

A third resident reported Sunday that she returned home from a trip to find that her vehicle has been broken into, police reports state.

The 1995 blue Plymouth Neon's side window had been forced open, and a $250 Sony CD player was stolen.

All three incidents are still under investigation, police reports state.

Thief Steals Key, Comes Back for the Rest

Carrboro police are searching for a man who broke into an apartment in Village Apartments while the 45-year-old resident was out of town.

Police reports identify the suspect as a 32-year-old black man, about 5 feet, 9 inches tall, 180 pounds and with black wavy hair. The suspect came by the victim's apartment in November, and after he left the victim noticed his extra apartment key missing, reports state.

Then when the victim went out of town at the end of December, the suspect came back and stole more than $4,600 in property, reports state.

Among the possessions were a book of checks and a gold rope necklace and bracelet with a combined value of $1,200.

A $300 gold crucifix pendant, $520 gold UNC college ring and a $200 wedding band also were reported missing. A $1,400 IBM laptop and a $250 digital camera were also taken.

The case is under further investigation.

University

Sunday, Jan. 12

-