Procedural Problems Restart Search

Despite a strong public showing against starting the superintendent selection process over, the Orange County Board of Education voted 5-2 to begin the selection anew.

A major issue raised at the meeting concerned leaks from a closed meeting. The leaks came from inside the board about candidate qualifications, board members leaving early from interview sessions and incomplete reference checks.

"The idea that this board uses closed sessions for some secret agenda is ludicrous," said board member Randy Copeland, who voted to restart the process.

Copeland further countered charges by indicating that some board members had to leave due to prior commitments such as work.

Dana Thompson was the board member who released statements to the local press concerning the issue. Thompson said she had no knowledge her statements were not entirely accurate but said she thought discussing the issue was not a problem.

"Closed session should never be a place to keep secret our thoughts and feelings," she said. "I think we're missing the big picture."

Issues about the closed meeting revolved around the board's Dec. 21 decision to continue the search.

But the decision was legally nonbinding because it occurred in a closed session, which violated the N.C. Open Meetings Law.

Resident Gayane Chambless said she believes the board has acted poorly and does not seem to be listening to resident input.

"I am disgraced by your actions, and as a taxpayer, I'm incensed that you would waste our money," Chambless said.

The process, which has been mired with difficulties for the freshman board, will be continued with a tentative superintendent selection date of April 14.

Residents at the meeting advocated for finishing the selection process and for electing one of the previous candidates, Bert L'Homme, as superintendent.

The search for a new superintendent began in August, when former Superintendent Randy Bridges resigned his position to become superintendent in Rock Hill, S.C.

The board's two finalists were Bert L'Homme, who is the associate superintendent for instructional services in Durham, and Jeannie Freshcorn, who is the associate superintendent for curriculum and instruction in Scotland County.

The board conducted the search through the N.C. School Board Association, which, according to estimates, cost $5,000. The money came from the board's local budget.

Costs for the new search will be minimal. The board will have to only pay for advertisement, said member Libbie Hough.

Member Betty Davidson proposed after the Monday vote that all members sign a confidentiality agreement, which she had signed at the beginning of the process.

The board was unanimous that the new selection process was to have ground rules, which will be discussed in an open board session Jan. 21.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.

The Daily Tar Heel 2024 Graduation Guide