Public Gets Final Input on OWASA Plan

The Orange Water and Sewer Authority board of directors met Thursday night to hold a final public hearing on the proposed Water Conservation Rules and Standards before presenting the document to local towns and the county for approval.

The proposed Conservation Rules and Standards will become an ordinance after approval by Orange County, Chapel Hill and Carrboro officials next week.

All resident comments at the hearing were met with discussion by board members. The members voted to decide upon those issues at a later date.

The board decided to go ahead with its plan of sending the document to local governments today and responding to officials' concerns at a meeting next week.

The Water Conservation Rules and Standards are designed to reduce the rate of increase in overall water use through year-round water conservation. The proposal also addresses the stages of mandatory water restrictions in the case of a water shortage similar to the emergency-level drought last summer.

Under one provision, OWASA would attempt to reduce indoor water waste by encouraging low-flow toilets and low-flow showerheads. It also would try to reduce outdoor water use by limiting irrigation without sacrificing landscape quality and by encouraging more efficient watering practices.

The first draft of the Rules and Standards was released to the public at the end of December. The proposal elicited many responses from the public, which prompted the board to make changes to the proposal.

The proposal presented at the Thursday meeting was the third draft of the Rules and Standards, but it still created objections from some of the community members who attended the meeting.

Mack Clark, an OWASA customer in Chapel Hill, said he was concerned that the current plan for conservation unfairly targets single-family residences because the plan mainly is focused on irrigation regulations.

"Single-family residences only account for about 30 percent of water demand," Clark said. "I think you need to develop a system that affects all customers reasonably equally."

Another resident with suggestions for change was Grey Moody, the owner of Swish Car Wash in Carrboro and the AutoBath car wash in Chapel Hill. He suggested that home car-washing be banned during Stage One water restrictions.

"Before you think I'm saying that for selfish purposes, I should say that there are many municipalities and towns across the state and country that ban home car-washing because of excess water use, along with chemical runoff."

Not all residents attended the meeting to suggest changes to the proposal. Allen Spalt, former Carrboro Board of Aldermen member, spoke in praise of the board's hard work on the proposal, especially the fact that watering landscaping, other than lawns, was exempted from the restricted irrigation plans.

"I really appreciate the landscape issue being addressed," He said. "It's really important that (landscaping) not get lost."

Board member Judy Weseman assured the attending citizens that this is not the end of the changes to the proposal. Weseman said, "We view this as a living document, not something that is set in set in stone.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.