Raleigh Council Considers Limiting Unrelated Roommates

RALEIGH -- The Raleigh City Council chamber was filled to capacity Tuesday night as concerned citizens voiced opinions about the council's proposal to allow no more than two unrelated people to live under the same roof.

The council referred the issue to city staff for further consideration.

The Chapel Hill Town Council finalized a similar draft of a land-use management ordinance in November, which will be up for approval at the council's Monday meeting. Chapel Hill's ordinance would allow for only two unrelated people per residence or four in a duplex.

Raleigh council members listened to numerous responses to an ordinance proposed to address an initial problem in a southwest Raleigh neighborhood. "The individuals got rowdy, and neighbors complained," said council member Neal Hunt.

Raleigh's proposed ordinance would only apply to single-family homes and duplexes, Hunt said. If the council passes this ordinance, those who now live with three unrelated people can continue to do so. However, landlords would not be permitted to rent to more than two unrelated people per home after they have complied with the new ordinance for more than a year.

Hunt said the ordinance would improve neighborhood atmosphere at the expense of decreasing the amount of available housing units and the value of real estate. He said the average rent for a two-bedroom, single-family duplex is about $700 per month.

Stella Adams, director of the N.C. Fair Housing Center, said Raleigh has one of the most affordable housing rates in the country.

The ordinance would force some N.C. State University students -- such as graduate student Mike Salmon, who lives on a fixed income -- to find other accommodations. "It's nice to have roommates to offset the cost," Salmon said.

In addition to students, other groups in opposition included veterans and the elderly. Some residents said they think the ordinance discriminates against single residents, immigrants and other groups.

One man held up a map and addressed the council in Spanish, pointing out that 7 percent to 10 percent of the targeted population is Hispanic. Hispanics and refugees sometimes live with non-family members because these are the only people with whom they can communicate. Also, many immigrants leave behind family members in their home countries.

"What will be the impact of this ordinance on this community?" the man said, evoking fervent applause and smiles on the council members' faces.

Bruce Mainland, who spoke for several middle-class neighborhoods such as Brentwood, said the ordinance would slow the extinction of single-family housing. "The bottom line is that single-family neighborhoods are becoming multi-family neighborhoods by default," he said.

Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker announced that the council would not reach a decision on the ordinance during the meeting. He said it would be instead referred to a planning commission for further consideration.

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.