'Screw' Adaptation Offers Haunting Interpretations

Production opens this week in Swain Hall.

Floating between a period piece and experimental drama, a theatrical adaptation of Henry James' classic novella "The Turn of the Screw," will open today in Swain Hall.

The play, directed by Derek Goldman, is being staged by the Chapel Hill-based StreetSigns Center for Literature and Performance.

The story follows a governess as she is hired to raise an orphaned brother and sister whose caretakers recently have died.

Upon her arrival at the caretakers' estate, the governess begins to see their ghosts. She is afraid they have come for the children, and her attempts to save the orphans spiral tragically.

Goldman said bringing James' work to the stage will bring out the story's deeper levels and allow the audience to explore them in a way reading might not allow.

"I have always thought that this type of staging could bring out the many distinct interpretations in a sense of what's going on, heightening the mystery and the questions at the heart of the story," he said.

He said he has highlighted the question of whether the ghosts haunting the estate are real by changing the ways in which the audience sees them. The ghosts will be represented by real actors as well as through projected film images.

Goldman said he has tried to remain faithful to James' text but with the goal in mind of bringing a modern feel to the production.

"The scenery feels less like a period piece from the Victorian age but more like we are inside (the governess') mind," he said.

The director said he also keeps the audience inside the protagonist's head by not straying from the novel, which is told by the governess in first-person narrative.

Goldman said he was excited and proud of how he and the cast brought some freshness to the work.

"We have been able to make the play both very modern and contemporary but still a wonderful classic," Goldman said.

StreetSigns is a nationally touring professional company that works in partnership with the University, but it supports itself through ticket sales, not through funding.

Productions like "The Turn of the Screw" combine the efforts of students, professors and professionals. This type of joint collaboration has been the goal of StreetSigns since its birth in Chicago in 1992. Goldman said that having a diverse cast comprised of students and children made the experience rich and educational.

"(The play) fulfills the model of what StreetSigns means to be in this community -- everyone benefiting from everyone else," said Goldman. "It's easy to say, but doesn't always happen -- but it is amazing when it does."

"The Turn of the Screw" will be performed at 8 p.m. today through Saturday and 8 p.m. Jan. 29 through Feb. 1. Performances at 2 p.m. will be held Sunday and Feb. 2. All performances will be held at at Studio 6 Theater. Tickets cost $14 for Friday and Saturday and $12 for all other days. For ticket information, call 843-3865.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.