Superintendent Candidate Withdraws

The man who many people have supported for Orange County superintendent decided not to go through the application process again.

Bert L'Homme announced he will not reapply for the superintendent position left vacant by Randy Bridges. L'Homme was unavailable for comment on the matter Wednesday evening.

Orange County Board of Education member Delores Simpson said that she respected L'Hommes' decision to withdraw and that she thought he will do well in the Durham public school system.

"I am saddened by (his withdrawal), but I certainly understand it," Simpson said. "I think he's ready to move on and continue to solidify his position with Durham County schools."

L'Homme is the associate superintendent for instructional services in Durham.

The superintendent selection process was reopened by the school board at its Monday meeting. Many of the public speakers at the meeting gave testimony to the merits of L'Homme.

Orange County resident Marcia Compton said she did not support any candidate. She just wanted the selection process to end, because it was taking up too much time and money.

"I think it's a waste of time and money," she said. "I just wanted a decision to be made so we could get on with the school year."

The selection process was mired by accusations of breach of confidentiality. The process, which has been going on for months, will be continued and dates will be finalized at the Jan. 21 meeting.

Orange County school board member Betty Tom Davidson made no comment on L'Homme's decision, but she said she was not worried about the board ethically.

"Personally, I'm not concerned about the integrity of the board."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.