UNC, GPSF Try to Raise Awareness of INS Restrictions

As the federal government tightens standards for educational student visas, UNC officials are warning international students that they need to be more aware of their situations.

In response to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, the Department of Immigration and Naturalization Services changed the way it processes information concerning international students.

According to some at UNC, the INS changes have made for a strict, and sometimes unforgiving, new system. And several University officials are stepping up their efforts to make sure UNC's international students understand the system.

As part of the new procedures adopted by the INS, international students now are monitored using an online database known as SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.

Michael Poock, associate dean of academic student affairs, said the new method of tracking international students works much more quickly but is much more strict than the previous tracking method.

"The online software means that students who are out of compliance face severe consequences, such as deportation, much quicker," Poock said.

Branson Page, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Federation, said the new methods of tracking drastically affect international students. "Basically, the rules haven't changed, but the consequences have become more severe," Page said. "One mistake and you're done."

Page said international students must be kept apprised of the situation so they can maintain good standing with the INS.

"We have to make sure that all international students are aware and accounted for," Page said. "We also have to make sure they know of changes and are kept up-to-date with the information so they are not held out of compliance."

International students can be classified as being out of compliance for a variety of reasons, including not having at least nine hours of classes, which is required by the INS for an international student to be classified as a full-time student.

Those found to be out of compliance face the possibility of having their student visas revoked and being deported.

UNC went online with SEVIS this month, and Poock said that though the University has not had any problems with SEVIS so far, his main goal is not to fight the system but to educate international students so that problems do not arise in the future.

"We definitely don't want any students to get deported because they are unaware of the situation," Poock said.

Poock said that he sent out e-mails to the international students listserv and that the next item on the agenda is contacting the University's academic departments to make them aware of the situation.

"We want to make sure that both international students and the academic programs have the information," Poock said. "Our best option is to keep everyone informed and aware."